Monday, July 2, 2012

God's Fireworks

Last night my husband and I were camping out in our tent that I have erected in the yard.  We set up his Mac and watched the movie 2012.  This is the second time we have seen this movie.  If you haven't seen it, it is about the destruction of the planet on the day that the Mayan calendar ends... December 21, 2012. I like the movie for its action adventure, but wonder if it drives fear into people about the end and what that is going to look like.

There were sounds of fireworks all around us.  It was Canada Day yesterday, people in our town like to celebrate with fireworks.  I peeked through the screen window of the tent and caught a brief glimpse of the colourful explosion.  I couldn't see much of the firework display, but what I saw was more beautiful.  In the distant sky, on a perfectly calm night, I saw lightning.  It was a quiet display at first.  Just bright flashes and no thunder.  The leaves on the trees were barely moving.

 "God's Fireworks." I thought to myself.

  "They are beautiful" I whispered.

 God was the only one to hear my whispers.  My husband was already asleep.

 "Thank you" I said in a hushed voice.

 Not once during the quiet display did I consider waking my husband with the news of an oncoming storm.  It was perfectly dry during the celestial fireworks.  We could have packed up the bedding and moved back into the house.  We would be somewhat sheltered from the elements in the tent, but it is very difficult to sleep in a tent when there is lightning, thunder and pouring rain, which is exactly what followed.

I wanted to run back into the house, but my husband had his own sence of adventure.

 "We're camping. Go to sleep. Pretend are on Mount Everest."

 In other words... "Pretend that our warm, insulated house is not thirty feet away."

 I couldn't sleep.  I just laid awake listening to the rain pound down on the tent roof and the thunder clapping in the not-so-distant darkness.  I was thinking that moment... I had the chance and I didn't heed the warning signs.

 I thought of Jesus warnings to his followers in Matthew 24.  I  read that chapter when I came back into the house this morning.  This passage in Matthew 16 also comes to mind. 


  "He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’  and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. "
 Matthew 16:2-3 (NIV)

 I saw the lightning, I knew what could follow.   God's fireworks last night was a picture for me.  I am more of a believer in the words of Jesus about the end of the age that I am about the fear of the end due to the end of the Mayan Calendar and the planets lining on this year's winter solstice.

  “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.  As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.  For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark;  and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. " 
Matthew 24:36-39 (NIV)

I am not really fearful about the end as we know it or as we imagine it... But I wonder if I am watching a beautiful display of lightning and just staying put in my tent.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I am an only child and are a little surprised I am so transparent :)

    Happy Day to you!

    ReplyDelete