Sunday, July 8, 2012

If Tomorrow Never Comes

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.         James 4:13

 Take a look and listen to this YouTube clip. (Have a tissue handy, just in case.) Vlad Gherman - "If Tomorrow Never Comes" (cover) in "Pariu cu viata"

  Now the story...


 Fatal car/motorcycle accident near Leduc

 Woman driving motorcycle dies at scene Fatal car/motorcycle accident west of Leduc on Saturday afternoon. A woman is dead after a car/motorcycle collision west of Leduc on the afternoon of Saturday, July 7. The crash occurred just before 4 p.m., at the intersection of  Highway 39 and 60. When emergency personnel arrived at the scene, they discovered both vehicles in the middle of the intersection. Paramedics tried to save the motorcyclist, but the woman succumbed to her injuries at the scene. The driver of the car sustained minor injuries. 


 “Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in this collision” says Corporal Jeffery Fox of the Leduc RCMP. “A traffic analyst has been contacted and the investigation is on-going”. Once the investigation is complete, charges may be laid, he said. 


Constable Drew Burchett of the Leduc RCMP says that at the time of the collision, visibility and road conditions were excellent. The name of the deceased is not being released, pending notification of next of kin.


That was the brief article about the accident that I pulled from on line.  This is what I saw. 


 Manfred had just dropped me off at Crystal Glass in Leduc to pick up my truck.  It was getting a windshield replacement.  Manfred went straight home, but I detoured to Walmart to get some groceries.     I took a little extra time to pick up some summer wear.  We were going to a birthday bash for one of the band members that evening and I wanted something cool to wear. 


I texted Manfred that I was heading home at 3:44.  I was already heading westbound on Highway 39 en route to Calmar when an ambulance came into view in my rear view mirror.  I pulled over to let him pass.  As I approached the intersection of 39 and 60 (the turn off to Devon), I noticed flashing red lights.  As I neared the intersection, I came upon the crash site.  There were no police at the scene yet, just two ambulances.  No one was directing traffic, but the east bound traffic was stopped while the westbound traffic was easing around the crash.  


As I drove past I saw the motorcycle in the centre of the intersection.  The paramedics had the biker on a stretcher.  It didn't look good at that point.  I just continued on to Calmar.  I hadn't notice what the other vehicle looked like then,  I just had the picture of the banged up motorcycle in my head. 


I got home and had a bath.  Manfred and I left the house around 5:15.  The plan was to stop in Devon for a quick bite to eat before heading out to the birthday celebration. 


As we neared the intersection there was a long line of traffic waiting to go through. By this time, the police were there directing traffic around the crash site.  Manfred mentioned that they had to do a scene investigation, that would explain why it wasn't cleaned up yet.  We weren't able to do a left hand turn on to 60, so we had to drive by, turn around and come back.  It was then that we saw the car and what was obviously the reason for the accident.  


The car would have been coming from Calmar going to Devon.  It would have been turning left on to 60 when the motorcyclist came through the intersection westbound from Leduc at highway speed.  The right front side of the car was where the impact was.  So whoever was driving the car was turning into oncoming traffic.  That oncoming traffic was a motorcycle.  


As the article states, it was a beautiful day.  There were no visibility issue.  


"Some one's daughter... some one's wife... some one's mother... "  My husband said something to that effect.   But due to a spontaneous shopping spree... it wasn't his wife.  


Again I am reminded that I don't have tomorrow.  And I am thankful that God has kept me alive for one more day,,,


One more day for me to tell my husband how much I love him.
One more day for me to wake up beside him. 
One more day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment